Why Dating Right Now Is Literally Exhausting
I don’t think dating is hard because people are bad. I think it’s hard because everyone is tired and pretending they’re not. No one wants to admit they care too much, so everyone acts like they care less. And somehow that’s become normal.
Everything feels like a game now. How long to wait before replying. How interested is too interested. Whether sending a second text is embarrassing or “doing too much.” It’s so dumb when you actually think about it. If you like someone, you like them. But instead of just saying that, people twist themselves into knots trying to seem chill.
I’ve noticed that the moment you show real interest, the vibe changes. Suddenly you’re “intense.” Suddenly it’s moving fast. But if you don’t show interest, you’re “hard to read.” There’s no winning. You’re either too much or not enough depending on the day.
What gets me is how disposable everything feels. One awkward date and people ghost. One dry conversation and it’s over. No one wants to work through anything because there’s always another option one swipe away. It makes connections feel temporary before they even start. Like you’re renting attention instead of building anything real.
And communication is weird now. People avoid saying what they mean because they don’t want to look vulnerable. So they hint. They half-explain. They leave things open-ended on purpose. “Let’s hang soon.” “I’m bad at texting.” “I’m just busy right now.” Maybe some of that is true, but a lot of it is just fear of being honest.
I don’t even think people want chaos. I think they want safety, they just don’t know how to ask for it. Everyone’s guarding themselves so hard that nothing actually gets through. You end up feeling lonely even while talking to someone every day.
Sometimes I miss when liking someone was simple. When effort wasn’t embarrassing. When wanting clarity didn’t make you feel needy. I don’t want grand gestures or constant attention. I just want consistency. If you’re interested, act like it. If you’re not, say that. It shouldn’t be this confusing.


Comments
Post a Comment