you’re angel # to visit

Fast Fashion Is Cute Until You Realize What It’s Costing You (and Everyone Else)



I love clothes. Like, a lot. I love putting together outfits, saving Pinterest boards I’ll never fully recreate, and getting that tiny rush when a package shows up at my door. But lately, fast fashion has started to feel less fun and more… uncomfortable. Not in a dramatic way, just in a quiet, nagging way that sits in the back of your brain when you click “checkout.”

Fast fashion is designed to make you feel behind. New trends every week, micro-aesthetics popping up overnight, outfits that somehow feel outdated after one Instagram post. It’s exhausting. You’re constantly chasing the next thing instead of enjoying what you already have. And the worst part is that it works. I’ve bought tops I wore once. Dresses that looked cute online but felt disposable in real life. Pieces I forgot about within a month.

What really got to me wasn’t even the environmental side at first. It was the emotional part. The way shopping stopped feeling special and started feeling compulsive. Like if I didn’t keep up, I’d fall off some invisible timeline of being “on trend.” That’s such a weird thing to let control you, but it happens so easily when everything is algorithm-driven and comparison is built into the app.

Then you actually learn more about it. The insane amount of clothing waste. The factories. The working conditions. And suddenly that $12 top doesn’t feel like a steal anymore. It feels heavy. And no, I’m not saying everyone needs to be perfect or only shop ethically forever. That’s unrealistic, especially when money is tight. But pretending it doesn’t matter at all also feels wrong.

I’ve started trying to slow down. Not doing huge hauls. Asking myself if I’d still want something in three months. Rewearing outfits even if they’ve already been posted. And honestly? It’s kind of freeing. My style feels more like mine now, not just whatever trend TikTok decided this week.

There’s also this weird pressure online to either not care at all or care perfectly. Like you’re either a “shein haul girl” or a fully sustainable minimalist who owns five linen items. Real life is in between. You can like fashion and still question it. You can enjoy clothes and still want better systems. Both things can exist.


Comments

Popular Posts