Labubus, Capitalism, and Why I Can’t Stop Buying Them
I am obsessed with Labubus. Tiny, grotesque, gloriously unnecessary little monsters that somehow make me feel alive and completely broke at the same time. And here’s the thing, I love them, but I also hate what they do to me. Because nothing about this is innocent. Labubus are both the reward and the trap, and I keep falling for them.
They’re ridiculous. All of them have that smug expression that says, “I know you’re going to spend money on me, and you’ll love every second of it.” And honestly? They’re right. I scroll through them late at night, debating which to get. And I click “add to cart.” Because, of course I do. There’s something about these little creatures that makes my heart race, and my rational brain scream, don’t do it.
And capitalism ... oh god, capitalism. That’s the other part of this story. Scarcity, limited editions, hype drops, resale markets, it’s all designed to make you panic, obsess, and pay up. But here’s the twist: I don’t even really mind. I love the way these little toys make me feel clever for finding them first, superior for having a rare one, and guilty for spending money I definitely should have saved. It’s a full emotional workout disguised as a shopping spree. And honestly? I’ll take it.
There’s also something oddly sweet about them. Not in a “cute puppy” way, but in that satisfying, slightly indulgent way where you know it’s unnecessary and you don’t care. Holding one in my hand feels intimate, almost like a tiny secret I’m sharing with myself. I like the details — the tiny claws, the expressions, the fact that some of them look mildly evil but in a very fashionable way. I don’t need to explain why it makes me happy; I just know it does.
And yet, I’m aware. Aware that every second I spend looking at Labubus is feeding a system designed to profit off my obsession. I’m complicit. I buy them, I chase the limited editions, I talk about them online. I am both victim and participant. And somehow, that makes it even more thrilling. Because the toys themselves aren’t just little monsters; they’re reminders of everything we buy into, everything we chase, everything we’re told we need in order to feel alive or special.
Collector culture is wild. Adults debating over who has the rarest one. People reselling them for triple the price, acting like they’ve discovered the Holy Grail. And we all play along, even when we know it’s ridiculous. It’s exhausting, slightly infuriating, and absolutely magnetic. Labubus works because it’s weird, fun, and a little transgressive. Buying one feels like a tiny rebellion against the boring, polite world that tells you to only spend money on things that “make sense.”
I love them while critiquing them. I love them while hating how much I love them. I love them while rolling my eyes at the marketing and muttering curses at my bank account. Each little monster is grotesque, quirky, and perfect in a way that makes me feel clever, alive, and just a little indulgent. And that’s exactly the point: the attraction isn’t just aesthetic. It’s emotional. It’s the thrill of wanting, deciding, and giving in to something completely unnecessary that still makes your heart beat faster.
Labubus is a lesson in contradiction. I can admire the design, obsess over the rare editions, and critique the ways capitalism sneaks into every part of our lives and still click “checkout.” I can see the absurdity and the appeal at the same time. I can love something fully while acknowledging that the system around it is designed to exploit my impulses. And that tension? That’s the part that keeps me coming back. It’s fun, it’s infuriating, and it’s entirely mine to experience.
So yes, I love Labubus. They’re little indulgences that remind me it’s okay to want something just because it makes me happy.

Comments
Post a Comment